A problem I’ve seen affecting keyboard users (particularly fast ones) in recent AutoCADs (since 2006) is that the characters entered into the command line are not always the ones you typed. Or rather, they are the ones you typed, just not in the right order. In particular, I’ve seen the first couple of characters get messed up, so you might get ILNE instead of LINE. In addition to the annoyance factor, this is something of a productivity killer.
Has this happened to you? If so, please comment. Any comment is welcome, but it would be great if you could provide the following information:
- AutoCAD (or vertical) release(s) where you have seen this happen. Also mention any recent releases where you have seen it not happen.
- Command line status when you have seen this happen (docked, floating, off, all of the above).
- Dynamic input status when you have seen this happen (on, off, on but with some options turned off, all of the above).
- Screen configuration when you have seen this happen (single, dual, either).
- AutoCAD main window status when you have seen this happen (maximised, floating, either).
- Other than this problem, does AutoCAD’s general response to input seem “sticky”? Sticky keyboard, mouse, or both?
- Other than AutoCAD, do any other apps give sticky response on the same PC?
- General PC stats (OS, CPU type and speed, RAM size, graphics card).
Please add anything else that you think might be useful in tracking this down or working around it. If I learn anything that might be useful, I’ll report back in a later post.