As I’m typing this, the Autodesk discussion groups are down for maintenance again. Let’s hope that when they come back up, some of the problems are fixed.
In the meantime, if you’re an AutoCAD user and have something to ask or say, where can you go? Here are a few suggestions.
- I like the AUGI forums. It’s an even more modern, more graphical and less space-efficient web interface than the new Autodesk one, but there’s a good community there and, hey, the search feature works. Mike Perry and colleagues run a tight ship, so please read the rules and be good.
- If you have something to tell Autodesk and want practically no restrictions in the way you say it, submit a new message on dear Autodesk, or vote for the existing messages you like. It’s looking a bit bare and empty at the moment, so go fill it up.
- As a Cadalyst person, it would be remiss of me to avoid mentioning the Cadalyst forums.
- The Swamp is biased heavily toward CAD programming, so if you have a LISP question then head there, but it also hosts general CAD discussion. In this community, you are expected to be courteous and professional.
- Old-timers like myself will remember that the CompuServe ACAD forum’s Take 5 section was carried over into the AutoCAD discussion groups. It was kept going for a few years before Autodesk felt it was getting out of hand and killed it. That community refused to be killed, and actually still flourishes for newsgroup (NNTP) users at the t5 dot dynip dot com server.
- R. K. McSwain suggests the CADTutor forums.
If you wish to point out any other sites I’ve missed, please let me know and if they’re relevant I’ll edit this post to include them.
While I was typing this, the Autodesk discussion groups came back up, but who knows how long that’s going to last?
Also while typing this I also received a phone call from a helpful Indian gentleman at Subscription Support (which was working fine as of yesterday). He asked for details about the broken search (it doesn’t find anything posted prior to the update), confirmed that it’s broken, and promised to inform the relevant department. That’s a much better response than the email I mentioned in my last post.
If it’s OK with you, allow me to also make mention of the CADTutor forums (which also uses the industry standard vBulletin forum software)
No problem, I’ve updated the post accordingly.
I was wondering where the take5 community ended up after it was banished from Autodesk. It moved around a couple of times and I lost track, and couldn’t find out what happend.
Maybe I’ll head over there!